CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Talk About Vintage.....

NOW I LOVE VINTAGE....ALWAYS HAVE....ALWAYS WILL....

My oldest son is currently in Florida, serving a 2 year mission for our church. These young men dress in white shirts, dark slacks and ties 7 days of the week. We have found that ties are important to these young men. They are the only thing that they really get to change up in their wardrobe.

However, the weather being HOT, HUMID and RAINY, has done a number on his ties. He asked me to start hitting the thrift stores and purchase him old polyester ties. He said "They might look ugly to you, but they're loved by us missionaries." I took that as, -Don't care if they're goofy- I found that the DI (local thrift store) asks $4.00 for a used polyester tie. I think that's ridiculous!

This week I happened to bring this up with a gentlemen I work with. WHO....happened to be throwing out his polyester ties from his mission. STOP THE PRESS!!!!!! SEE BELOW!!

TALK ABOUT VINTAGE.....LOOK AT THESE BABIES!!
a box full of vintage. They are wonderful


vintage close-up

A good wash is what they needed. They're polyester, what could it hurt???

NOTHING ACTUALLY. They washed up beautifully.



I lost count at 80, so....80 plus polyester ties headed to Florida. Funny thing is....they will LOVE THEM and wear them.


Look at the beauty on the far right....It's a bright purple and blue. The green with flowers is lovely to. Does any of this remind you of your dad or grandpa????

This is the one we suggest should be worn first!!!
LOVELY!
Thanks Craig........our son will love these.

Put this on a pillow: I will dare to do just what I do, Be just what I am, and dance whenever I want to.

27 comments:

Lisa Anne said...

80 ties, wow that is wonderful. He's gonna have a different tie on everyday of the week. LOL I like the tie you suggested he wear first. I think ties are supposed to be funky and give you character. That's the whole point of them right!

Ann Marie said...

Actually LOVE some of those ties!
YAY!!! Good Mom. You will bless not only YOUR son.. but countless missionaries as well... :)

Jemm said...

Woah that's a lot of ties! Very cool.

Laura Lynn said...

Wow - a ton of ties! Very cool! I remember Elders using their gum to hold their ties together on my mission. We weren't allowed to chew gum but they used it to "sew." ha ha.
We were just in Florida - Good luck to your son!

Lisa said...

What a great idea to go vintage. 80 ties- that's an awesome score. Hooray for Israel.

The Blonde Duck said...

How fun!

Bobbi Jo said...

What fun that would be. That is about as many as my hubs has. He has a tie fetish I swear!
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Sondra said...

That is a hoot! 80 + ties... I am sure his wife is doing the happy dance to have them gone... from his missionary days. That makes me laugh... Men hold on to everything don't they??? Ha ha ha!

When your son and his companion open up those boxes ... lots of happy dancing will be going on... Don't you wish you could be a mouse in the box and watch when they open up ALL of those ties... Priceless.

Amy said...

Those are some pretty wild ties. My dad had a fish tie...

Material Mary said...

The ties just make me giggle inside. If he can bring these back home with him, you could make him a tie souvenier quilt or something...just a thought hehehe
Mary

A Joyful Chaos said...

Wow what a treasure! I can imagine how happy you were to have the opportunity to save them from being thrown out. I'm sure your son will love them.

Kimmie said...

SO funny!! Yes, missionaries LOVE ties as that is the only way they can add any amount of PIZAZZ to their daily attire.

LOVE those ties and I can't wait to hear how much your son and his companions love them as well.

I just love your FUN outlook on life and I really enjoy your friendship.

I hope you are having a great week!

The Gathering Place said...

What a treasure! Your son will be able to supply the whole mission with ties! Don't you just love a great bargain?
JoAnn

Connie said...

You're right, he and all his companions and all the missionaries in his zone will LOVE THEM! What an awesome mom you are and what a good guy your friend is. Oh, I miss having my son in the mission field! Enjoy every moment of his mission!

Camille said...

It's so scary how fashion seems to repeat itself historically. Next thing you know we'll all be wearing units and flourescent colors again!
That is a sweet box full of ties!
By the way, is your son on a Spanish-speaking missionary? There are a lot of latinos out in that area...

Shauna said...

In primary we had the high priests bring some of their old ties and the children decorated them for their dad for father's day. Crazy fun!...and a little embarrassing for the dad.

Yvonne said...

That is quite a group of ties. (I agree $4.00 is a bit much from DI) Great job. Hope he loves them.

QuiltedSimple said...

These are so cool! And how interesting
Kris

Rachael said...

Neat ties! What's old is always new again....they are really very hip looking!!!!

marciea casselman said...

It's true. Those missionaries get so tired of their ties. Brock would trade ties with his companions regularly.
I have a friend who buys her son a new tie for each holiday. Your idea is just as fabulous...80 different ties. Now, where will he put them all?

Carrie said...

I love the ties how cool!

Tracey said...

Wow.. I think I say some of those in the 70's with my step-dad.. very vintage...I think that's the word. I'm sure your son will love them and really appreicate the thought as well. Keep us posted on his trip. Good luck and my God keep watch over him.

peggy said...

I have always loved old neckties, I look at them and wonder what beautiful thing could be made from them, but I never experimented because I thought they all had to be dry-cleaned. I'm so glad I found out from you that there are polyester ones that can be washed.
BUT I'm glad you had a better use for them, I know they will enjoy wearing them. And their missions will be blessed! and colorful and joyous!

Julie said...

What a haul! I'm sure he'll love them and probably get lots of nice comments too.
$4 for a used tie is kinda silly!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I know, this tradition is so funny, but bless their hearts...they're only young once. : )
One of these days I will post about the skirt Sara made from a bunch of old ties. You may have already seen them...but they are Way Cool! : )

Xazmin said...

That's so awesome! Love all the ties! It doesn't remind me of my dad...it reminds me of my husband! He is sooo in need of fashion help!

Cherie said...

The ties Rock!
I think it is so funny what the missionaries do with the ties - literally the only thing they can change up in their wardrobe! Some really come home with quite the collections!!
It always seems like the "weirder" the better - ha ha.
I am sure he'll enjoy these!