CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

It Says "Low-Fat Doughnuts"????

Did you get to the grocery store this weekend? Did you see the Family Circle Magazine staring at you as you stood in line to check out??? If so, WHAT CAUGHT YOUR EYE???
UMmmmm..... Low-Fat Doughnuts maybe???
Low fat doughnut...how could I refuse??
BUT ARE THEY GOOD????
You need a doughnut pan. I looked at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Not only could I NOT find one there, the young girl I asked for help from didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
Found the pan at a little cooking specialty shop. "Love to Cook, Kitchen Kneads." And the cute young girl I asked for help from, new exactly what I was talking about.
I wish I would have purchased two.


Here's the attempt....of making Low Fat Doughnuts.
Shhhhh...Of course they really aren't low fat, just lower in fat than those you purchase.
I'll share the chocolate recipe. There's also a recipe attached to the pan when you purchase one.
Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
(If you don't have buttermilk use 1 cup milk add 2 tblsp. lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
4 tsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Coat doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until blended and smooth.
Spoon batter into large reuseable plastic bag. Cut off a corner and squeeze batter into prepared indents,
about 2/3 full. Smooth tops. Bake at 325 fro 13 minutes, until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack 3 minutes. Then carefull turn out directly onto rack to cool.



Frosting for chocolate-frosted doughnuts:
Combine 1 cup confectioners sugar, cocoa (whatever your heart desires. Mine desires allot), 2 tablespoons of milk. Stire until smooth. Dip cooled doughnuts into bowl and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl.


Transfer to rack. Top with sprinkles, coconut or mini chips if desired.

Here's what you get....... TA-DA!!!

The other doughnuts are white cake doughnuts dipped in cinnamon and sugar while still warm. YUM!!!


And yes...they passed the "WE LIKE" test. Especially the chocolate. Why I wish I would have purchased 2 pans is because they are really fun to make, and I think we'll make these with the Cub Scouts this Wednesday.

TEENAGER TALK..... Teenagers already have a tendancy to talk fast, and run their words together. Add braces, and very large springs on each side of your mouth and this is the conversation you get....

He said......"The Olympics are over." I thought he said....."Have to find Rover."
My question....."Who's Rover?"

Have a GREAT WEEK!!!!

29 comments:

Julie said...

Low fat donuts, the irony! They look delish, though :)

The Kelly Variety said...

I shouldn't have looked, Now I have to try it myself!!!

Material Mary said...

I am going to have to give these a try. You just keep coming up with the fun ideas...
Mary

Happy Mom said...

Yum!!!

I MISS Kitchen Kneads!!! Every time I struggle to find a kitchen gadget, I know that if I could just walk into that store, they would have it!

The Gathering Place said...

What a fun idea! I think I need a pan, too!

Connie said...

They do look good! Hope you find Rover!
This is the conversation I had with my daughter tonight on the phone while trying to avoid the noise of 2 grandkids playing in the front room.
She, "Mom, I just won a giveawway through school and I get to stay one night at the Hilton in the King's Suite"
me - "What? You won some King's feet?"
It's not just you!

Ann Marie said...

They have donut pans? My word!
You can make those at my house anytime.. he-he..
Those scouts are going to be happy..

Lisa said...

Yummy!!!

Nana said...

I was wondering if those would be any good. Have you found Rover?

Sondra said...

WOW!! Yummy! I'm going to have to find a pan and make these!! I love ideas that you can make the naughty stuff at bakeries - a little more guilt free and low fat. I also love becoming less dependent on stores bought products... and making them from scratch.. Loads of fun!! Thanks for sharing. Miss Sandra (Dee) - LOL!!

Kasey Hunt said...

Yummy, thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

that is so yummy..

Save this post for my Round Robin this month..
Friday 3.12

I hope you have a great week.

Camille said...

I need one (2) of those pans pronto! The finished product looks like the real deal! I would have been fooled! :)
As for the slurred speech, welcome to my world! Only I'm the one who people can't understand! (thanks braces!)

Lisa Anne said...

OMG those look so yummy. Low fat or hgih fat, who doesn't love donuts. With chocolate no less and sprinkles. Ahhhhh

Neha said...

gonna try them sooooooon :)

have a nice week ahead!!

marciea casselman said...

That picture on the bottom looks like a magazine photo. I'll have to try these when I get in a donut frenzy.

Kim said...

Looks good. I'm glad you liked the pictures, there are more on my facebook page.

GWENDOLYN said...

mmmmmmm. love donuts... I sound like Homer Simpson. ha! magazines crack me up... they will have a diet in the book and also recipes for cakes and goodies. At least this one is low fat. :)
Blessings!
Gwen

Jemm said...

Man oh man those look yummy!!

N said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherie said...

Oooohhh They look super yummy! I think that magazine is a liar - they look too good and chocolatey and cakey to be low fat. Who are they trying to kid anyways - Ha Ha

You did a good job. These look wonderful :D

Yvonne said...

Wow--those look good. I love doughnuts.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a doughnut pan. I'll have to go looking for some.

QuiltedSimple said...

those look so yummy! thanks for the recipe!
Kris

Garden of Egan said...

Teen talk........yes, truly a mysterious language.
The donuts looks sorta good!

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

Oh man, these look way to good. You have me wanting to buy a donut pan! I have a donut cookie cutter...think if I fried the donuts they'd still be as low fat? :) Seriously, yum, I really want some!!

Julie Harward said...

A great idea, they look so good! Thanks for the visit :D

Laura Lynn said...

Oh yeah!! Totally trying this! Here in PA we have "Fausnaught Day" it's a Pennsylvania dutch thing, basically "Doughnut Day" where you get to try lots of doughnuts!

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh my!! Pretty impressive. My problem is that I would certainly want to eat more than one of them.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

So, so impressive!!! That last photo actually looked like it belonged in a magazine.
the pics of you in the post below, were so classy. Beautiful make-up job, BTW!! : )
M.L.